Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Grandpa Earl

Sunday night, the McKenna side was at my uncle's house once again but this time for a different occasion. . My dad’s father (my grandpa) was born on July 4th. He died from a sudden heart attack when he was just 49 years old; my dad being 16. My grandpa Earl would have been 80 years old this 4th of July. Our extended family has never done something like this, but this year decided to have a little fireside/birthday party for him. 7 of the 8 children of my Grandpa were there as well as 2 of his siblings, and a ton of his grandchildren/great grandchildren (who have never met him here on earth but knew him before we were born). Each had a turn to share memories of his life and testify of the truthfulness of the plan of salvation.

It was such a special few hours. I got to learn so much that I didn’t know about my Grandpa Earl. I got to see his sons and daughter express their deep love and appreciation for his life, example, and time they had with him as a father. I also got to hear my Grandma Joanne reminisce on their courting days and also their final last moments in the morning before he left to the corn field and passed an hour later.

There were some very spiritual stories told of some of the son’s experiences around his death that really touched me. The spirit was so strong as I listened to truths about the Plan of Salvation. I know that families truly are eternal when sealed in the temple. I know that my grandpa still lives and is aware of his posterity and anxious for us to live righteously so we can return to him someday.

That night made me feel so blessed to have my father still here on the earth, and to have my husband. I am even more grateful for every day I have with those I love. I am so blessed with such an amazing extended family where there are so many examples to look to. It was a night I will always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment