After that, he got to come home Saturday afternoon and stayed with us until Sunday evening that weekend. That first week or two with him gone really affected the boys as they adjusted and they went through some behavior issues. They usually are great with our nanny but they would argue with her and were not the typical happy and nice little people they usually are. They would cry for me to not go to work. I felt so bad that there was nothing I could do change the situation for them. I was crying all the time while I knew they were struggling at home without me. The next weekend that Zach got to visit us, they were the happiest I'd seen them in a long time. It made me so emotional knowing all they were needing were their parents to be home with them. They had a blast rough housing with daddy on Sunday and we got to snuggle as a family that afternoon in bed and really enjoy each other with no distractions. Our visits are always too short but so needed and wonderful.
He now has been getting into all sorts of information on the systems of the plane, regulations, and a BUNCH of stuff I don't even know how to write down or explain. All I know is that he sits in class all day beginning at 8:00am. They get out between 5:00-6:00 and sometimes also have a few hours of another study/class at the airport after that. Then he gets together with a group he's become close with to study and check homework with until past my bedtime :) He is working so hard. He is tired and his brain is getting filled to the max with new information. But he seems to be doing really well and coping with such a brutal schedule like a champ just like I knew he would. He is just so used to working hard and doing what he needs to do to get things done and that's just what he is doing. He doesn't complain to me or say he's homesick. And I know he is enjoying the people around him and knowing that all he is learning is applicable and needed for his career (unlike some parts of college that would drive him nuts).
His schedule leaves very little time to communicate during the week. Some nights we get to FaceTime with the boys before going to bed for about 5 minutes. Sometimes we don't. Some nights him and I get to connect and catch up on the phone for about 5 minutes. Some nights we don't. But each day there can at least be a text or two sent and read at the others' convenience. It's obviously hard. I've evolved into a much more independent person than I used to be. Some days I'm so busy myself I don't have time to feel upset about it and before I know if the next day has begun. It's kind of a blessing I work to keep my mind so occupied. Then other days my pregnant hormones catch up with me and I get very emotional about things I shouldn't and I wish it was just easier to communicate! I feel like we were already very used to living without daddy home due to his insane flight instructing schedule he put himself through to push through those 1,000 flight hours. We didn't jump into this cold turkey. We already knew what it was like to not get to see much of him. This is definitely a little more extreme than that was, but it is being doable and we are managing it just fine now. The boys are back to their happy selves which I am so grateful for. I honestly couldn't do this without my built in little buddies to love me and distract me from missing my man.
Two weekends ago, Zach didn't have time to come home to visit because of study needs, so we met him at my parents house. He got to spend the night with us there, we got to go to lunch together as our little family and do some shopping at Station Park, and to top it off....him and I last minute decided to stay the night in his hotel room while my parents kept the boys for the night! His roommate was home for the weekend and had had his wife over the night before. So we figured I might as well get a turn! It is a suite with a kitchen and living room and it felt like a little vacation that was so needed. We did some shopping, got dinner and cheesecake for dessert, and were both out like a light by 9pm haha. It was the best to be in bed until 8:00am instead of having to get up with the kids. I got to meet some of his buddies at breakfast and got to see a little glimpse into how he's been living.
Last weekend he got to come home Saturday night right before bed and left again Sunday evening. We didn't get much family time because of spending Sunday at church, babysitting a neighbor friend, and then a Johnson birthday get together. But we at least got to see his cute face get some hugs in!
This week he isn't going to be able to be with us for Thanksgiving. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts about that with a Thanksgiving post coming up!....but wahhhhh. We will hopefully get to meet up in Salt Lake again on Friday night with my family.
He finishes this part of his training on December 1st. We have baby scheduled to be born via C-Section on December 5th. And this week we finally got his schedule for Simulator Training which will not begin until January 7! This means he will get to be home 24/7 for all of December! The birth, Christmas, New Years, yay! It's been a huge unknown and I am so happy it worked out the way it did. So blessed. The only downside is he will be living in Cincinnati for it and it will be 4 weeks long. But in this moment I don't even care because I'll have my man home supporting us during such a huge transition as we welcome our baby girl into the world. That's all that matters to me.
He texted me this picture today and I keep laughing at it. I sure love this crazy kid. I love getting to support him in following his dreams!











No comments:
Post a Comment