My parents came early Monday morning to stay with the boys at our house and Zach and I headed to the hospital at 5:45am. We spent the next 2 hours filling out paper work, getting an iv hooked up, monitoring baby's heart beat. Things were calm and our excitement began to build. Emily joined us a little before surgery and was able to document such memorable moments of the whole experience. So grateful.
I walked back to the OR where I got prepped for the spinal block sitting on the table. We got our playlist hooked up and our music calmed me immediately. The first song that came on was "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw and I immediately began to tear up as I sang the words to myself. I remember hugging Zach with my head on his chest while they did my spinal, and I finally wasn't nervous in that moment as I pictured my little girl coming so soon and me finally getting to see her face in just a matter of minutes.
It wasn't painful and within a few minutes I was tingly then all the way numb. It's such a weird feeling. One that I don't love. I was laid down on the operating table and the team of doctors all got busy hooking things up, putting up the curtain, getting their tools ready. It's the most nerve wracking thing laying there helpless as you know you are about to be cut open! This time I got really light headed all of a sudden and nauseous. I ended up throwing up and Zach was the best to be there for me to help me. The anesthesiologist gave me some medicine and I immediately felt much better.
From then on I honestly felt good. There wasn't any unusual pain or feeling like the time before. I felt in-the-moment instead of out of it due to all the drugs last time. I felt so much love for Zach in his support and sweet gestures as he kept me calm. And after a big moment of pressure, they told us she was here! It was such anticipation as we waited to SEE her and HEAR her. It felt like a few minutes although I'm sure it wasn't that long. They brought a beautiful, big, and blue, baby around the certain and there was our first glimpse at our daughter!
She was taken over to the table to get checked. Zach asked me if I was alright enough for him to go over and see her and I was. He headed over and had his first moments looking at our beautiful creation. They got her crying and turning pink, and I remember it was the loudest and cutest cry. With little high squeaks following each squeal. I remember calling out to Zach telling him to move because he was in my view of her on the table :)
She weighed 8 lbs. 1 oz and measured 19 1/2 inches. Born at 8:27 am.
After a few minutes they bundled her up and laid her on my chest. This. This was the moment all the emotions filled my body. I can't describe it but it was so intense and something I didn't get to experience with my boys due to my surgery/NICU experience with them. Looking into her face for the first time with Zach next to me, I was overcome with love and gratitude. I felt honored to be her mother. I felt such intense love for my baby. I felt in awe at her beauty and that she was ours. I remember Zach apologizing for his tears that were dripping on my face but I didn't even notice as they melted in with my own. It's a moment I will always remember.
After about 15 minutes, they got me back together (so weird) and onto a hospital bed. I got to have my baby to the side of me in my arms as they wheeled me back to the labor and delivery room we started in. There we got 2 full hours of just us. I got to enjoy skin to skin for the first time which was incredibly bonding. We got to try nursing which was a pleasant experience. And we got to stare. Stare at her face, her breathing, her dark eyebrows, her chubby cheeks and perfect nose, her ear hair, her longs fingers. We were instantly in love and obsessed with our daughter!
We got to tell Emily her name for the first time before she headed back to school.
Joelle Anne Johnson
We kept her name a secret during the pregnancy. My middle name is Joanne after my Grandma. She was always known as "Grandma Jo" and has forever been a hero and example in my life. When she passed away during my first trimester, I hoped I was having a girl to get to somehow honor her with my daughter's name. I started looking up names with Jo in it and came up with Joelle Anne. I thought it was so beautiful and luckily Zach loved it too. I hoped it would feel right when I met this little babe because we didn't have a back up. Anne is also Willa's middle name so it felt extra perfect. I love having a Baby Jo in our family and I hope we can raise her to live with joy, optimism, faith, and service as my grandma lived her life.
We were then taken to the Mother and Baby floor and started to prepare for visitors! That day we got to introduce Joelle to Jack and Eli, both our parents, Mandi and her girls through the window, and my siblings (minus Braden). It was a day full of love and excitement and heaven as everyone loved on baby Joelle and her beauty.
Jack and Eli before heading in to meet their sister. Unfortunately these timid little boys have a great fear of offices, doctors, and anything of the sort. Jack was so good to put on the sweetest brave face and come in but Eli broke down in tears and refused. It wasn't a picture perfect meeting, but it was reality. (My dad was so nice to photograph these moments for us)
Eli stayed hidden behind my mom the entire time.

















































































No comments:
Post a Comment