Saturday, November 26, 2011

Get it out

At the end of summer, I realized I had a small lump in my chest. I was really freaked out initially. It's not the best feeling when you recognize something is in you that shouldn't be there. I talked to my uncle who is a doctor and my dad who also works with doctors all day and I learned it probably wasn't something I needed to worry about, but should still get it checked out. My insurance would be starting with my new job the next month so I decided to wait a little while. I finally got an appointment with a great doctor at a Women's Clinic. After meeting with her, she then wanted me to get an ultra sound at the hospital. So I got an ultra sound a few weeks later at the Logan Hospital. They could tell it for sure was not a cyst. (This is what is usually the most common at my age). It seemed solid in the ultrasound, so they for sure needed to do further tests. Although they were 99% sure it was just a fibroadenoma, which is non cancerous, they told me my options were to get a biopsy or just get it out. I really didn't like either of these options so I had to do some thinking. I then met with a general surgeon and he explained both procedures to me. I could either get some numbing shots and then let them take several samples with a shooting needle thing to get a biopsy, or get the same numbing shots and and then let them just take it out. He thought it would be simple enough to just do in his doctor's office instead of the hospital and I also wouldn't even need to be put under.  It seemed dumb to go though the biopsy, then later have to get it out anyway. I thought it would be the right thing to just get it out and over with since the procedure would end up being almost the same (one leaving just a little bigger scar).

So Wednesday before we headed out for the Thanksgiving break I got it done. I of course had Zach come with me (1. because he needed to be my ride! and 2. I was definitely a little nervous) Zach was so great to joke with me the entire time we waited for the surgeon. He kept the mood light and it was perfect. He held my hand the whole time and stayed right with me. The shots were very manageable and I just made sure to keep my eyes closed the whole time. The worse part wasn't pain- just being totally aware and awake during it all and it felt like it took forever because he had trouble actually finding it once he started. But other than that it was totally fine. Very glad it's over and that Zach was there to help me smile. The surgeon was very confident it is what they think it is, but the formal testing is being done this weekend.  I feel really confident in the doctor's I've seen and don't have any worried thoughts about it at all. I just wanted to write this whole process down to remember it. May be weird, but yes I had Zach take a pic of the day. Might not be a memory I wanna remember, but still needs to be documented.

1 comment:

  1. how scary! I am proud of you, I would have been freaking! so glad things are ok!

    ReplyDelete