Tuesday, March 20, 2012

St Patty Weekend

We had a fabulous weekend! It fun to actually have plans for a change instead of just takin it easy at home. Friday night we had our March Johnson bday activities. We all met at Mandi and Greg's house and had green treats and made leprechaun traps. We each brought an oatmeal container and transformed them into these


Apparently leprechauns like to break the rules. So when they read the sign saying, "Do not climb the ladder", they climb it to get the gold on top and fall in the cut out hole hidden by the green felt. Pretty genius :) The nieces and nephews were so excited at the thought of catching their own leprechaun! Andrew kept going on about how he was going to get a feather and tickle it then tie it up in his room. 
We then went outside and attempted to make these glow in the dark bottles using Mountain Dew, Hydrogen Peroxide, and baking soda. Unfortunately we couldn't get them to work, so the kids ended up playing with glow sticks instead. They had fun breaking them open and getting them all over themselves and painting on the sidewalk. 


After the party, we headed to my family's house for the rest of the weekend. We got their late and stayed up even later. We got to sleep in and woke up to a fun surprise for St. Patrick's Day! Love you mom.


We had crepes for breakfast then went to the Bountiful Temple. Six of the 8 siblings of my dad and their spouses, my grandma, and Taren and her husband all got to come do sealings together. It was seriously such a cool thing to be in a sealing room all together to do this work for family names. We didn't plan this, but all of us McKenna's are from Ireland and we were doing family names from there on St. Patrick's Day! I want to make it a tradition! The sealer had some great comments and my uncles told stories about the families we were doing the sealings for that really brought such a real spirit to the room. I loved seeing so many great examples in my life in such a sweet setting and feeling so much love for them and the ancestors we were doing the work for. It is an experience I know I will remember. After the temple we all went to lunch at the Paradise Cafe and had yummy soups, sandwiches, and salads.

That night, Emily and I went on a sister date. Emily drove us and this was the first time I'd been in the car with her driving. Scary! She did great :) We went to The Vow even though Emily has seen it before. I've been dying to see it and I was crying more than half the movie. No joke. Emily didn't shed a tear. Pretty sure being married makes that story a lot more real and boy did it make me SAD. I just kept thinking how that would be if that happened to Zach and I. I gave him lots of hugs when we got back! After the movie we went to Yogo Togo for frozen yogurt.


Sunday we went to my cousin Lane's mission farewell. He gave a great talk and it was fun to chat with more family. After brunch at their house, we took sunday naps and had a meeting about going to Romania. We got to ask lots of our questions and gave our ideas for the camp. The theme is "I believe I can" and we basically get to do whatever we want to plan. It's a little overwhelming but also so exciting! We also got to see more pictures of last year's camp and pictures of the kids we will be with. It made it seem more real to me that we will be there in just a few short months! We are all excited for the experiences to come! There is a huge list of things they hope to be able to bring for them. If anyone is interested in donating something or even money to spend for them once we get there, contact me and I'll give you the details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment