Sunday, October 9, 2016

HIRED with SkyWest


I really haven't fully written/documented how Zach has been living the past several months. And us as a family. He has been working so hard to try to get as many hours as possible before his interview with SkyWest on October 6. He literally leaves the house at 8:00am and gets home sometime in the middle of the night. Sometimes well after midnight like 2am and sometimes around 10-11pm. He even would fill his Saturdays with flights. The boys see him for about half hour in the morning each day and I see him as I say goodbye when I leave at 7:00am and when he slides into bed in the middle of the night. Fortunately he has been coming to church with us on Sundays so that's when we at least get to say more than hello or goodbye to him.

To say the least, we sure miss our daddy and husband. The boys ask about him often and cry for him when they are sad. I've sadly gotten really used to treating our life and schedule as if I'm the only parent. I don't want to say I'm like a "single" parent because it's different. I still know I have an amazing husband who loves me and our boys. But the last several months I just know that all the responsibilities with the boys or our house are on me. If I have to go to Relief Society meetings (which is weekly, being in the presidency) I know I have to get another babysitter. If I have errands or appointments, I know that the boys will be there with me. I like to think that I've been adjusting well and learning how to become much more independent. And although it's not easy or my first choice or ideal, we are surprisingly doing really well. I have been able to feel above water and happy and positive through it all. So much of it has to do with the amazing support we have from our nanny, Jessica, who keeps my house cleaner than I ever do and who loves my boys as her own (and they LOVE her in return). And the support from my mom, who the boys still adore being with, often goes grocery shopping with them for me, and stays late for needed appointments or meetings I have with work and baby. We are so blessed! It's been very sweet for me to see Zach with the boys in the moments he gets to see them. He misses them so much and I can see him soaking in every cuddle and conversation he gets to have with them.

By October 6th, he was able to only be short 40 flight hours (so he will finish those before his start date). This means he had 935 flight hours at the time of his interview...incredible! He studied hard and was hired on the spot as they seem to be doing these days. Airlines are desperate for pilots right now! We are so proud of him and this accomplishment!! I loved getting his text that he is the newest SkyWest PILOT! We still have a lot of unanswered questions with timing and locations of his different trainings. But what we do know, is that he will start his training on October 26th and be gone from that date (don't know where yet) until November 25. Don't know about Thanksgiving policies or coming home on possible weekend policies, etc. But I've been preparing my mind for the worst case scenarios to get me through this next phase. From what I hear from other pilot wives, this is a hard part of the journey and I can't help but feel that the way we've already been living for a while now has only been preparing all of us to be able to manage.

Then near the end of those first set of training weeks, he will bid his preference for the last 3 weeks of SIM training. This is what really keeps me up at night. It could play out where he is away for this training over the birth of our baby girl. Or it could end up they let him at least fly home for the day she is born. This is one of the reasons I've scheduled a c-section, so we can for sure know the day she is coming and plan for it. Or it could end up happening right after she is born and he's gone for the first few weeks of her life. All scenarios aren't very fun to think about. The inability for me to plan (emotionally and physically) on a certain scenerio is what is hardest for me because we just really won't know until the end of November. I don't know what to anticipate and it's scary. But I do know I am being strengthened by my Heavenly Father in this and that He will take care of me and my family the way that is supposed to happen. I'm so grateful for the gospel and perspective it brings me personally. I know where I can find support and peace in my life when times get hard. I know that I am the master of my attitude and I can choose the way I react to different situations. I pray that I can be a positive example to my little family and a support to my husband the best I can. It's so exciting to be at the beginning of his official career and get this show on the road!...or in the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment