The week the boys turned one (so back in September) I let them try peanut butter on a sandwich. They immediately starting breaking out with red around their lips which quickly followed up to around their eyes that were starting to swell up. We took the sandwich away and within an hour later I got a text from my mom that Eli had thrown up (not just spit up). We have stayed clear of anything peanuts since then. We were advised from our pediatrician to get them tested for a peanut allergy and it was taken us a long time to get around to it. In January I finally was able to take the boys to the allergy specialist where we "got to" pay $90 worth of co pays for the two of them and wait hours to be told they needed to be tested. And that I still needed to make a separate appointment for the actual blood work. Jacob and Emily met me at the doctors for this appointment since Zach was on a flight. It took all three of us to manage them and I was so grateful for there help! I have the best siblings ever.
Jack waiting and waiting and waiting to talk to the doctor.
The next opportunity we had to both take the boys into the lab at the hospital came during Presidents Day weekend. They were all smiles in the car on the way there. I was so worried about our visit. They would have to get their blood drawn from their arm and these kids bawl when the doctor even looks in their ear with a light. I was bracing for the worst. We decided to say a prayer in the car to help us. Jack was all for it and folded his arms so good for the prayer.
They loved having the waiting room all to themselves and playing in the awesome chairs. We did Jack first. I help him tight with his monkey stuffed animal and binky. He did amazing. He cried for a minute when they first started touching his arm, but he was calm and not crying at all for the entire blood draw. It was incredible! He just held on tight to his monkey and hid his face in my arms. Heavenly Father sure answered his prayers :) Eli wasn't as brave and cried and squirmed the entire time. But we were so proud of both of them and happy to have it over!
On the way home we stopped at the dog park and Logan River. It was so exciting for the boys to see all the dogs and throw rocks in the river.We waited for a week and a half for the results and I got a call saying they tested positive to peanut but I needed to go to the doctor to hear the specifics. So Emily saved the day again by coming with me to the appointment and I got the pleasure of forking over another $90 of copays. Luckily it wasn't a long wait at all this time! Here's what we learned:
- They have a high risk allergy to peanut, meaning when eaten they will likely have a reaction with a swollen tongue and throat....not good.
- They aren't allergic to anything else we tested.
- We need to have Epipens on hand at all times in case they eat something with peanut.
- We need to take all peanut products out of our home including those that 'may contain peanut' because of the machinery used.
I know I am going to be a pretty paranoid mom about this. But how could I not be when the outcome could be life or death if an accident happened. We will definitely need to make some adjustments around our home and have a new mindset as we raise them to be very aware of this danger to them.








I'm so sorry! I'm sure that's an awful allergy to deal with. Poor boys! And poor mom, too!
ReplyDeleteSheesh that's too bad. But, it's good that you know and it wasn't too scary the first time they had peanut butter.
ReplyDelete