Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The final moments

Jake is now officially a missionary and in the MTC. Crazy.

Zach and I spent Tuesday evening with my family and slept over. We were a complete family for the last time for a few years. Jacob picked to go eat at PF Changs where we had no problem polishing off way too much food. Pictures from the parking lot--




On the drive home we had a little car concert. Memories and moments like these with Jakey I will miss a lot these next few years.


We stopped for root beer ice cream cones before getting home. I was too stuffed and had to refuse...a first for me I think.

We had a few hours before Jacob would be set apart as an Elder and we just all sat around and chatted. Jake was pretty quiet and not really emotionally present. I asked if he was okay and he just said he had a lot on his mind. I can't imagine the thoughts that consume you the night before you leave your familiar life for 2 years. Emily and I tried to lighten the mood...we simultaneously jokingly guessed what could possibly be on his mind-My answer being 'girls' and Emily's 'cheese'. Which soon turned into 'girls dipped in cheese' and we got a laugh out of him :)

A member of the Stake Presidency and the Bishop arrived at our home around 9:00 PM to set Jacob apart as a full time missionary using the priesthood. Beautiful messages/thoughts were shared by my dad, and the two men. My dad spoke on how there is so much 'power in the work' and how miracles can and will happen when you apply yourself as a missionary. Another spoke on the simplicity of the gospel and how there won't be a week in Jake's life he won't think of this time he will serve as a missionary. Another spoke about Jacob's spiritual gift of having a peaceful countenance. How so many people in the world are searching for peace and how Jacob has a natural ability to make people feel at peace. It is so true that Jacob is such a peacemaker and has a gift for making people feel comfortable and loved. I know he will have many opportunites to share the message of peace that the gospel brings. He received a powerful blessing and love filled the room.


We said our goodbyes before bed because we had to leave bright and early the next morning to get back home for work. I didn't let myself think it was real so I did fine. We had a good chuckle at this picture of Zach and Jake. My brother is huuuuuge.


Emily claims that Jacob is the only sibling she's ever had because she was 11 when both Braden and I were out of the house. This picture pretty much sums up the love...


MTC drop off went well. I wasn't able to be there because of my first day of work but I was told composure was held until the drive home without him. 


If you want to write him, his address right now is:
MTC Mailbox # 237
AZ-TUC 0829
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Jake is already going on a mission! Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised... he is a giant.
    Your family is absolutely gorgeous. Love you all :)

    ReplyDelete