Thursday, May 16, 2013

Boy & Boy

So happy to officially know we've got little boys growing!! We got a double scoop of blue ice cream to celebrate and announce the news :)

We've felt like they were boys for a month or so. My family kept telling us they were feeling like they were boys. Others also would tell me they thought they were boys. And although these all were just 'feelings', I really started to only be able to imagine my babies as boys and I really believed that's what they were. At our 14 week appointment our doctor thought she could see the beginnings of boy parts but obviously couldn't make anything official that early on. That pretty much sealed the deal in my mind though and we went into our appointment feeling certain that's the news we would hear. The boys weren't shy and let us know loud and clear that they are FOR SURE boys. It's so amazing to finally have all the proof we need and can start the planning and buying everything BOY!

Since my pregnancy is considered 'high risk' (all twin pregnancies are) we had to (got to) go to the specialists at the hospital for this appointment. They come to Logan once a month to do ultrasounds for these pregnancies and are so in depth. We were with them for 2 hours checking everything out and filing our minds with their knowledge. It was beyond amazing to literally go through each organ, body part, and bone of each baby checking how they were doing. It is such a miracle how babies grow and develop. Then to see and realize that there are two entire human bodies doing this inside me is just beyond comprehension sometimes.  It was so awesome to finally understand exactly where they are hanging out inside me for the moment, to understand better what we are feeling. Baby A is head down close to my cervix and Baby B has his head up by my belly button. They switched the picture to 4D for some pictures and they look so cute! 
Baby A
Baby B. He was always too wiggly and active to get a straight on picture of his face. But he's doing a thumbs up for us!
The boys are both weighing 11 ounces. This means they are sharing the one placenta beautifully right now. I am so grateful for that! And I'm counting it as a sign that they will be great sharers out of the womb as well :) Since they have their own sac but one shared placenta, this needs to be watched extra carefully. I will be going in for ultrasounds alternating with my Dr. and the hospital specialists every 2 weeks now to be on top of everything. I love that I get to see my babies so often! And at the same time, it really opened my eyes to how many risks and potential problems could easily arise in this pregnancy. They will be watching closely for 'twin to twin transfusion' each ultrasound to see if one baby is taking nutrients from the other. They need to catch this early, and if they do there are treatment possibilities that usually have a good outcome. Extra prayers are always welcome for my little men. 

Once I get to 32 weeks, I will go in for 2 ultrasounds a week. Crazy! They told me that 60% of twins are born by 36 weeks and they won't let me go any longer than 37 weeks. This means the latest my boys will be here is September 15! We will keep praying they stay in me to cook as long as possible. Feeling super blessed! 

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE these pictures! How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you!! How exciting and what a blessing. A woman in my ward said having her twins was the best time of her life she enjoyed every min. And I thought of you and wanted to pass that along! Keep growin those babies mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We like boys! I am so excited for you and Zach! Congrats! And keep doing a good job cooking them! Stay healthy little men!

    ReplyDelete